Alcohol Addiction and Misuse: Signs, Causes, and Treatment
What is Alcohol Addiction?
Alcohol addiction, also known by the diagnostic term alcohol use disorder (AUD), is a chronic, relapsing condition characterized by the inability to stop using alcohol despite negative consequences in multiple areas of life.4 AUD may range from mild to severe, with addiction representing the moderate to severe side of the spectrum.4, 5 Other terms that describe AUD in common language include alcohol abuse, alcoholism, or alcohol dependence.4 Though these and other terms, such as alcoholic, are often used in relation to AUD, such terminology can be stigmatizing. As a result, the terms “alcohol addiction” or “alcohol misuse” are preferred when referring to issues with alcohol use.
Dangers of Alcohol Addiction
Alcohol misuse can have serious effects on the person drinking as well as those around them.1 Adverse effects from alcohol can include serious injury and other potentially severe health issues, including: 1, 8
- Cardiovascular issues (e.g., irregular heartbeat, chronic high blood pressure).
- Alcoholic cardiomyopathy.
- Increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Weakened immune system and resulting increased risk of pneumonia.
- Liver damage (such as fatty liver, fibrosis, cirrhosis, and hepatitis).
- Pancreatitis and other chronic gastrointestinal inflammation.
- Increase cancer risk (head and neck cancers, liver cancer, breast cancer, and colorectal cancer).
- The cumulative risk of alcohol poisoning and overdose toxicity.
Alcohol Addiction Treatment Options
Effective alcohol addiction treatment that’s tailored to a person’s specific needs can help promote recovery.4 Treatment may combine several therapeutic approaches, including medications, behavioral therapy, and management of any co-occurring mental health issues.10
Get Help for Alcohol Addiction
Finding help for alcohol addiction does not need to be difficult. American Addiction Centers has compassionate folks ready to take your call 24/7 at to help you learn about treatment options, check your insurance coverage, and answer your questions. Call today and find out how to begin your road to recovery.
To verify your insurance coverage for treatment at an American Addiction Centers facility, fill out the form below. Your information is kept 100% confidential.
We'll be able to tell you if your insurance provider is in network with an American Addiction Centers treatment facility.
- Dual-diagnosis treatment centers.
- Personalized treatment plans.
- Financial options available.