- Joint Commission Accredited
- A lakeside setting of mountains, streams, and waterfalls
- Addressing trauma and core issues with the best science and research available
- Offering evidence-based, holistic, and 12 steps approaches
Residential Addiction TreatmentAcqua Recovery is a sanctuary where people come to stop the misuse of drugs and alcohol and begin a life in recovery. Tucked away in a peaceful, 12-acre property, Acqua offers peaceful meditative spots, relaxing water features, and a host of amenities promoting mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being. Here, you will rest, reset your focus, and rediscover the beauty of life without drugs and alcohol. At the same time, our evidence-based, trauma-informed approach to addiction treatment ensures that you'll experience the highest levels of professional care and treatment for your disease.
Personalized TreatmentAddiction is a complicated disease that requires a sophisticated, customized approach. We draw from each patient’s experiences, preferences, personality, needs, and values to develop an appropriate course of treatment. We combine medically-informed therapies with experiential and meditative activities to deliver a holistic recovery experience.
Experienced ProfessionalsAcqua Recovery is proud to have several Master-level clinicians on staff. These experts use their many years of education and experience to deliver treatment that works. Other staff members are caring and connecting. Many are in recovery themselves, or have family members that have made the journey. Together, our team is a welcoming and effective recovery community - the perfect mix of science and sanctuary.
Addiction Recovery Coaching ProgramEveryone in recovery deserves a guardian angel. Meet our recovery coaches. Our addiction recovery coaching program is truly one-of-a-kind. At Acqua, each client is teamed up with a nationally-certified recovery coach that will build a relationship of trust to support the recovery process. The coaches closely follow each client's progress during and after treatment, providing encouragement, feedback, and the opportunity for adjustments along the way. Reconnecting in a healthy way with other individuals is a very important part of recovery. Our recovery coaching program is a great way to create the sense of connection and accountability that fosters lasting addiction recovery.
AftercareDuring treatment, you will begin to understand your patterns of thinking and action. Our Masters-level clinicians will help you find the root causes of your addiction and help you begin to heal them. For many, though, that healing must be a lifelong process. As you come to the end of your stay at Acqua, our team will work with you to identify appropriate next steps. Perhaps you may want to enter an Intensive Outpatient Program here in Utah, or maybe a sober living is right for you. It might even be time for you to fly home and get back to your family and career. No matter what your vision for the future, our team will ensure that you are set up for success: continued healing and recovery.
Alumni ProgramLocated near Park City, Utah, and not far from Salt Lake City and Provo, Acqua Recovery is a hub of continued recovery in Utah. Many alumni return for weekly 12-Step meetings and other community activities. There also is an active, private online community where alumni of our program can connect and offer each other encouragement in their new lives. We encourage continued connection between alumni, so they can support and inspire each other to build upon the lessons of their time in our program. Once you're here, you will always have a home at Acqua.
Lifelong Addiction SupportAcqua Recovery is more than just a place. Once you've been here, the spirit of our community flows through you forever. The lessons learned and connections made in our community will sustain you for years to come. Our programming is built to ensure it.
Meet the Staff
- DAN PARRISHCEODan Parrish was named President and Chief Operations Officer of Acqua Recovery in September 2019. He joined the team in 2018 as Director of Marketing and has made a career-long commitment to help those struggling with addiction and its underlying mental health and behavioral causes and triggers. His mission is to ensure every individual receives the treatment and education necessary to recover and to find the resources that best suit their needs. With over 10 years of sobriety, Dan brings true empathy to those in distress and believes the path to recovery starts with each individual finding their true self. “Addiction is a disease we can only successfully treat by meeting it with compassion and honesty. If we do not find the reason why the cycle of self-medication started, how can we find the road to sobriety?” Dan is passionate about creating a program that facilitates long term success in both Mental Health and Substance Abuse.
- DR. DANIEL PICKRELLMEDICAL DIRECTORDr. Pickrell is a physician with interests in addiction and psychiatry. He strives to identify the underlying cause of substance use. His understanding of addiction as the overlapping symptoms of biopsychosocial development is the foundation to his care model. He is committed to helping both patients and families understand that addiction is a treatable medical illness. He has been involved in the treatment of addiction for the last 17 years. His experience with patients suffering from addiction and mental health issues is what motivated him to attend medical school. Like many people in the substance abuse field his life has been directly impacted by the illness of addiction. This has helped him develop a unique understanding that each patient is an individual and requires an individual treatment plan. He values patient autonomy and is committed to assisting patients in developing a recovery plan that they can embrace. Acqua is the perfect location for Dr. Pickrell, as he can frequently be found fishing on the nearby Provo river. His love for the outdoors and an active lifestyle has drawn him to the beautiful Wasatch Front.
- GLORIA ANDERSON CMHC (CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR)CLINICAL DIRECTORGloria is inspired to help people grow and reach their full potential. She has pursued this passion through over a decade of counseling and teaching in the field of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, working in university settings and in outpatient, intensive outpatient and long-term residential treatment centers, including the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation. Gloria is a licensed clinical mental health counselor, holds a Master’s in Counseling and Psychology and is trained in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Gloria and her family are transplants from New York City, and enjoys the way that living in Utah allows them to connect to each other, the community and the outdoors. She loves the energy, compassion and willingness of Acqua colleagues to change when it means better care and better outcomes for our residents. Her counseling and administrative skills are a key part of Acqua’s clinical team; her intelligence, humor and hard work are a key part of our family here.
- JANNELL JONES ACMHC (ASSOCIATE CLINICAL MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR)MASTERS-LEVEL CLINICIANJannell has lived in Heber since the age of 4. She always said she would leave Heber some day and yet she is so grateful she stayed. Jannell comes from a large family and has 5 siblings. She has had interest in wanting to become a therapist starting from when she was in high school. It took her some time to complete the process. She has been married for 22 years and together her and her husband have 5 daughters. All of her daughters are grown and living their own lives which makes being an empty nester really fun for Jannell. She went back to school in 2012 and completed her bachelors in behavioral science in 2015 at Utah Valley University and then went on to complete her masters degree in August 2018 at University of Phoenix. She began working in a private practice office until she received the opportunity to come to Acqua. During her time in private practice she saw many clients who suffered with addictions and often referred them to inpatient care. She has a deep place in her heart for anyone struggling with addiction due to those clients, family members and friends that she has seen struggle over the years. Jannell has wanted to be a part of the process of helping those in need. Jannell think the hardest part of going through the process with one of the clients is knowing and watching them be ready to leave. She feels like a mother bird who sends her little birds out of the nest to fly on their own. She wants them all to continue on their journey and have the greatest success. Jannell is so grateful to be apart of the lives of the clients here.
Treatment Center Links
Rehabs 360 Guide
ABOUT ACQUA RECOVERY
Based in Midway, Utah, Acqua Recovery offers residential treatment for adults struggling with substance misuse. Combining evidence-based and holistic approaches, Acqua provides a broad range of treatment approaches, including dual diagnosis treatment, specialized trauma-oriented therapy, and nutritional education. Acqua's treatment programs address addiction to alcohol, heroin, other opioids, benzos, cocaine, and marijuana, among other substances.
Acqua also offers men- and women-only programs. According to a 2017 SAMHSA survey, 51 percent of treatment facilities offer men-only programs and 51.2 offer women-only programs in the state. Acqua is also one of 22 residential non-hospital facilities in Utah (9.2 percent) to offer medical detoxification.
TREATMENT & ASSESSMENT
In a typical day at Acqua Recovery, clients spend time in group therapy, mindful meditation, and recreation throughout the day, with individual therapy sessions in the evening. Both cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and trauma-oriented eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) are utilized as well as dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT).
Other treatment modalities include 12-step facilitation as well as other community support groups such as SMART Recovery, Addict to Athletes, and Addict to Artists. According to a 2017 SAMHSA survey, 66.1 percent of rehabs in Utah utilize 12-step facilitation.
With a 2:1 staff-to-client ratio, Acqua Recovery's diverse treatment team consists of a clinical director with a background in social work, a board-certified addictionologist, certified addiction counselors, nursing staff, and a recreational therapist. Also on staff are a nutritionist and a chef who doubles as a master gardener.
Acqua is one of 64 treatment facilities in Utah (26.8 percent) to be certified by the Joint Commission.
ACCOMMODATIONS & AMENITIES
Set on a remote 12-acre lakeside property with a mountain view, Acqua's resort-style facility is designed to provide a comfortable, engaging environment for clients. Residents in the 20-bed facility share spacious bedrooms furnished with fireplaces. Private rooms are also available. The center provides access to a full-service gym, sauna, and yoga studio, as well as activities both on- and off-site such as archery, a ropes course, river tubing, archery, and golf.
WHAT ALUMNI SAY
To date, Rehabs.com has received overwhelmingly positive feedback from over 30 former clients. The most common praise offered was for the staff, whom reviewers characterized as compassionate, understanding, and patient. Alum B.L. wrote in a representative review that they found treatment team members "easy to approach and talk with."
Sixteen alumni polled on specific metrics gave high ratings to the staff and would highly recommend the program to others. "It was a complete game changer for me and has provided so much help in my road to recovery!" one alum wrote.
Likelihood to Recommend: 4.9/5
Staff Experience and Training: 4.8/5
Ratings for 15 metrics measured tended to align with the facility's priorities and areas of pride, including exercise and leisure activities, meals and nutrition, and holistic therapy offerings.
Exercise and Leisure Activities: 4.8/5
Holistic Offerings: 4.4/5
Four reviewers also cited individualized treatment plans as a strength, while 16 reviewers gave high marks for counseling options:
Counseling Options: 4.5/5
WHAT FRIENDS & FAMILY SAY
Eight out of 10 loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date also gave extremely positive feedback and would highly recommend Acqua Recovery to others.
Likelihood to Recommend: 4.9/5
They agreed with alumni that staff were well-trained and experienced, that exercise and leisure options were good, and that holistic offerings were impeccable. In a representative review, one parent, T.S., wrote that one staff member went "out of his way to help. His interest is personal and does not end when they leave. The setting is amazing!"
Staff Experience and Training: 4.9/5
Holistic Offerings: 4.8/5
Exercise and Leisure Activities: 4.6/5
WHAT STAFF SAY
More than a dozen former and current employees of Acqua Recovery polled by Rehabs.com described the rehab center as highly dedicated to its clients. “I see miracles happen in patient’s lives at Acqus Recovery,” wrote M.A.P. in representative review. However, several employees complained of, short-staffing, high turnover rates, and a lack of consistent boundaries with patients.
However, staff also praised meals, recreational activities, accommodations, and their fellow staff members. These sentiments were reflected in ratings given by nine reviewers.
Staff Experience and Training: 4.7/5
Exercise and Leisure Activities: 4.6/5
Acqua Recovery accepts self-pay and most private insurance coverage plans. Treatment costs $20,000 per month or $53,500 for a 90-day stay, according to information provided to Rehabs.com by the facility. The 37 individuals polled by Rehabs.com concerning the matter appreciated the cost of the facility.
Recovery.org is a third-party resource for consumers seeking addiction treatment.
We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Recovery.org 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Recovery.org is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.