Ascensa Health (Formerly Known As St. Jude'S Recovery Center)
139 Renaissance Parkway NE, Atlanta, Georgia, 30308
The doors of the St. Jude’s Recovery Center are open to anyone in greater Atlanta seeking treatment from alcohol and drug addiction. The rehab primarily cares for homeless or low-income individuals who cannot afford treatment, and provides a comprehensive continuum of care, including detox, long-term residential, day treatment, family care and aftercare services, as well as a veteran’s halfway house and a special needs house for single parents.
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Health and Nutrition Education
- Medication Management
Medical DetoxificationDrugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.
Family ProgramResearch shows that the odds of successful, sustained recovery from addiction are far higher when family members and loved ones are involved in treatment. Drug and alcohol addiction often have genetic roots, whether related to substance abuse, mental illness or both. Family dynamics also play a role and, often, family members are the first to realize a loved one has developed an addiction. Also, it’s important for family members to understand and embrace the lifestyle changes that are required to sustain recovery.
- Average Location/Amenities
Meet the Staff
- Suzanne Shaffer, MSPresident & CEOAs President and CEO of St. Jude's Recovery Center, Suzanne oversees the day-to-day operations of one the largest nonprofit addiction treatment centers in Georgia. She actively manages 140 employees, seven facilities, and an annual operating budget of over $6 million. Suzanne leads St. Jude's mission of providing a comprehensive system of care that sustains long-term recovery from addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders. Suzanne was appointed President and CEO by the Board of Directors in 2012 after serving 13 years as Chief Operating Officer, overseeing Clinical Services, Finance, Food Services, Human Resources and Maintenance. Also during her 25 years at St. Jude's, she served as Director of Administrative Services and Director of Development. Suzanne holds a Master of Science in Health Services Administration from the University of St. Francis and a Bachelor of Science in Human Resources/Direct Services from Mercer University. Suzanne is a founding member of the Georgia Association for the Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse. Currently she serves on the DeKalb County COC Planning Committee and is a member of the State Association of Addiction Services.
- Sue Wiggins, MSChief Financial OfficerSue Wiggin has been the Chief Financial Officer of St. Jude's Recovery Center for 20 years. Sue oversees the organization's finance and information technology departments. Sue is an experienced professional in the fields of finance, business, and marketing. Since joining St. Jude's Recovery Center, she has coordinated all functions of the agency's accounting system, including the development and revision of multiple budgets over $6 million, preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports, and preparation of all payroll and tax reports. Under Sue's leadership St. Jude's Recovery Center has maintained its history of operating with a balanced budget and no debt. In addition, Sue is an active member of the Georgia Association of Information Technology and she has been instrumental in the implementation of a new electronic medical records system. Sue has a Master of Science degree in Health Care Administration from St. Francis University and a Bachelor of Science in Business with a concentration in Marketing Management from Miami University.