Muir Wood Adolescent And Family Services - Clovis, CA
18685 Auberry Rd, Clovis, California, 93619
Muir Wood Adolescent and Family Services is a residential treatment program designed specifically for teens ages 12-17 struggling with mental health and substance abuse conditions. We operate ten residential treatment facilities in Sonoma and Clovis, California, accommodating a small, closely cared-for population of just 64 teens. Soon, we will expand these same services to Central California. In our safe, comfortable, and structured environments, our compassionate clinicians help teen boys and girls—treated separately— explore and process sensitive issues and learn to manage and overcome mental health and substance use disorders. The Muir Wood guiding philosophy emphasizes kindness and compassion over confrontation and control. We are in-network with leading insurers including Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, Cigna, MHN, Halcyon, Kaiser Permanente, and Magellan, making our exceptional brand of teen treatment accessible to as many families as possible. Adolescent mental health and substance use disorders are complicated conditions that affect every aspect of teen life and identity. Successfully treating these disorders requires comprehensive and coordinated care. Providing this level of care requires significant time, resources, and support. As front-line responders, Muir Wood clinicians are acutely aware of the multifaceted nature of adolescent mental health and substance use disorders and the complexity of the underlying factors that contribute to their development and perpetuation. Nationally recognized as a leader in teen residential treatment, Muir Wood strives to be a center of excellence for the practice and advancement of adolescent mental healthcare. Our use of evidence-based practices, training of the next generation of specialized care providers, and our multidisciplinary treatment approach allow Muir Wood to provide exceptional care. Muir Wood is committed to making the highest level of care accessible to more families by being an in-network provider with most major insurances.
- Weekly Family Programming
- Highly Credentialed Licensed Staff
- Gender-Separate Residential Treatment
An Engaging Program Designed Specifically for Adolescent Boys and Girls with a Number of Experiential Therapies
Individual Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Meet the Staff
- Tara Krueger, PsyDChief Clinical OfficerTara Krueger, PsyD serves as our Chief Clinical Officer overseeing all aspects of clinical programming for our growing teen mental health and substance use disorder treatment programs. Dr. Krueger comes to Muir Wood from Newport Academy where she served as National Director of Clinical Program Development. She has conducted research on stress and competency in parents of adolescents and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder, as well as on aggression and divorce consequences in young girls. A frequent national presenter on mental health topics, Dr. Krueger earned her doctorate from Argosy University and is trained in modalities including CBT, DBT, Functional Family Therapy, Attachment-Based Family Therapy, and Motivational Interviewing. Congratulations Tara, we're thrilled to have you aboard!
- Scott SowleFounder & CEOScott Sowle has worked with teens and families for over 30 years. His goal has always been to create treatment programs that emphasize kindness and compassion over confrontation and control. Settings that promote sustainable, life-long recovery by providing teens and their families idyllic locations coupled with caring, dedicated, and highly qualified professionals. Professionals who partner with families to find more effective ways to communicate and begin the process of healing. A graduate of UCLA, Scott has authored a number of articles and is often asked to speak on mental health, substance abuse, family systems, and paths to sustainable healing. He is passionate about education and is honored to sit on community advisory boards and non-profits in hope that his voice can be a catalyst for effective and thoughtful substance abuse and mental health treatment policies, and as an advocate for the underserved. Scott has also worked as a consultant and mentor to many young entrepreneurs helping them launch their own treatment programs, offering guidance with licensing, accreditation, staff recruitment, and strategic advice. He has also been recognized for his work, most recently as the recipient of the 2020 Miracles Award in the Bay Area for “outstanding lifetime achievement and outstanding service in the treatment of addiction and mental health disorders”. A cyclist, surfer, endurance swimmer, and runner, the outdoors have played a significant role in Scott’s life and are an essential component of the program at Muir Wood. To quote John Muir, “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” Scott lives in Marin with his wife Basia, an operating room nurse, Nurse Educator at the University of California, San Francisco, and nurse consultant at Muir Wood. Basia is a constant inspiration and beacon in his life.