The Sylvia Brafman Mental Health Center
We are laser focused on the family dynamic and are adamant that family members must be heavily involved in treatment. Ben Brafman’s in depth experience with family therapy solidifies our belief that while the entire family gets sick from mental illness, the family can also recover with the right support and be better than ever before.
When patients come to treatment, they are broken and sometimes they don’t quite realize how broken they are. At their core, they yearn to be part of something bigger, feel connected to the people in their lives, have a purpose and feel optimistic about their future. Our goal is to restore a patient’s mental condition so as to give them the appropriate balance to move forward in life and position them to succeed personally and professionally.
With respect to addiction, it is our position that addicts are in a place of great suffering and that they contend with a mental illness which must be treated accordingly. This illness is uniquely intertwined in mental, physical and spiritual factors that are both genetic and the result of a self-centered worldview often impacted by trauma. Clinically speaking, the foundation of addiction is grounded in obsessive compulsive thinking. Therefore, we believe in treating the mental illness and supplementing it with the 12-steps, versus dividing up addicts and non-addicts into two distinct categories.
Actively listening to the individual and challenging his or her belief system is at the core of our clinical philosophy. Patients often cannot differentiate the true from the false, and our approach is to confront the flawed patterns of thinking in an empathetic and caring manner. Simultaneously, we identify and address any chemical imbalances that can be best addressed through medication therapy.
We believe it is critical to be able to measure the success of treatment. This provides a benchmark for recovery and holds us accountable. We measure success not so much by how the patient does in treatment, but how the family and patient recover progressively throughout and post-treatment. Some of the factors we emphasize include whether the family is operating as a unit (Is the marriage better? Are the siblings talking?), the patient is sticking to the post-treatment plan, the internal “chatter” starts to become more muted, there is a renewed hope and vision of a path forward in life and the patient starts to give off a different energy to those around him or her.
- Mental Health Focus
- Insiders & Thought-Leaders
- World-Class Medical Team
- Career Counseling
- Premier Family Program
- Small, Intimate Treatment
- Recreational Activities
- Passionate & Authentic
- Art & Music Therapy
Anxiety DisordersGeneralized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias, agoraphobia, separation anxiety
Depressive DisordersMild, Moderate and Severe Depression, Bipolar Disorder (I & II), Dysthymia, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), Mixed Depression with Anxiety
Dual-Diagnosis and AddictionCo-occurring mental health / addiction issues, substance abuse, substance dependency
Thought DisordersSchizophrenia (all types), schizoaffective disorders, psychotic disorders
Personality DisordersBorderline, Narcissistic, Dependent, Antisocial, Histrionic
- Beach Community
Meet the Staff
- Ben BrafmanChief Clinical Officer & Co-FounderMr. Ben Brafman, MS, LMHC, CAP is Founder and Chief Clinical Officer of SBMHC. He has founded a multitude of programs focusing on addiction, men’s issues, eating disorders and personality disorders. Ben was Founder, President and CEO of Destination Hope, a treatment center specializing in substance abuse and mental health disorders, established in 2007. Ben is also the founder, President and CEO of The Academy for Addiction Professionals. The Academy is a school geared toward preparing professionals for the field of addiction by assisting students in getting their CBHT, CAS, CAC, and CAP. Additionally, Ben is also Founder, President and CEO of Rx Angels, a non-profit organization. Its main purpose is to help families that cannot afford medication and treatment for their mentally ill loved ones. Ben has been in the field of behavioral health for 25 years. He has developed several programs in the South Florida area and has been instrumental in teaching other professionals how to effectively manage their clinical programs. Ben is recognized as a leading authority in behavioral health and a pioneer in clinical services. He is also actively involved in several community services programs. He has helped families all over the country from Atlanta, Georgia to Santa Barbara, California. He is a published author in the area of dual diagnosis and behavioral health. Additionally, Ben is a leading expert in family issues related to addiction and its impact on the system of family, having positively influenced thousands of families in his career. Ben has a dual Masters from Barry University in Counseling and Family Therapy. Mr. Brafman is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. He is also a Certified Addiction Professional and trains supervisors in the state of Florida to supervise others effectively. He resides in Parkland, Florida with his wife, Suzanne, and his 3 children Abigail, Jacob and Elijah. He has completed several marathons and is currently working on publishing books in the area of addiction, mental illness and behavioral health.
- Jaime BlausteinCEO & Co-FounderMr. Jaime Blaustein is Co-Founder and CEO of SBMHC. Prior to this role, he was an investment banker at Credit Suisse in its Global Industrials coverage group in New York City. Here he was responsible for advising clients in the basic materials sector on strategic matters, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, restructurings and various debt and equity financings. Prior to this role, he worked in institutional sales at Lord Abbett, a mutual fund manager overseeing ~$150 billion in assets under management. He previously worked in wealth management at Morgan Stanley and later Wells Fargo, advising a wide array of clients on investment strategies. Jaime received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan and his M.B.A. from Duke University. He is an unapologetic NY Giants, Duke Blue Devils and Michigan Wolverine fan. His interests include fitness, steakhouses, international travel, meditation retreats, and quality time with friends. Jaime is a newly minted resident of Miami. He is actively involved in sponsoring dozens of men in recovery and is beyond excited to marry his business expertise with his passion for helping others make a comeback from the depths of mental illness and addiction.
- Dr. Rick SeelyDirector of PsychiatryDr. Richard Seely educated at Princeton University, Jefferson Medical College, and University of Miami residency in psychiatry, Dr. Rick Seely is Board-certified in psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, and addiction psychiatry, and also in addiction medicine by the American Board of Addiction Medicine. He serves as an evaluator and provider for Florida’s Impaired Professionals Programs and for professional sports teams, and as a consultant to the Florida Board of Bar Examiners. Dr. Seely is an addiction medicine psychiatrist who has served as medical director of addiction treatment centers in South Florida since 1990 and has had the privilege of assessing and treating over 100,000 individuals suffering from the disease of addiction. He has taught addiction psychiatry at medical schools for over 35 years and supervises psychiatric resident physicians in addiction medicine. In long-term recovery from addiction himself, Dr. Seely empathizes with patients and provides clear, consistent, and compassionate guidance in their recovery efforts. He imparts his experience and knowledge in a manner consistent with humility and dedication to spreading the message of hope and recovery.
- Dr. Linda DolinMedical DirectorDr. Linda Dolin is the Medical Director of SBMHC. She received her medical degree from Chicago Medical School and went on to complete her residency at Weiss Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Dr. Dolin brings nearly 32 years of experience as a practicing internal medical physician to her role as medical director at The Sylvia Brafman Mental Health Center. Her medical practice consists entirely of inpatient and outpatient clients with psychiatric diagnoses.
- Accepts out-of-network insurance policies only
- Reduced private-pay rates available