Banyan Treatment Centers - Chicago
- Grow Through Recovery with Banyan Treatment Center
- Banyan Offers Truly Customized Plans to Ensure a Sustained Recovery
- Banyan Treatment Center Stands as a Leader In Client Care with Facilities Nationwide
- Banyan Treatment Center: Where Your Roots Grasp New Soil
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.
Family ProgramResearch shows that the odds of successful, sustained recovery from addiction are far higher when family members and loved ones are involved in treatment. Drug and alcohol addiction often have genetic roots, whether related to substance abuse, mental illness or both. Family dynamics also play a role and, often, family members are the first to realize a loved one has developed an addiction. Also, it’s important for family members to understand and embrace the lifestyle changes that are required to sustain recovery.
Intensive Outpatient (IOP)Patients who undergo intensive outpatient treatment continue to live at home and sometimes go to school or work while participating in a highly structured treatment protocol that is focused on ending substance abuse. Programs vary in terms of how much treatment patients receive, how often and for how long. Some facilities design individualized intensive outpatient treatment programs.
DetoxThough not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.
- Average Location/Amenities
- Residential Neighborhood
Meet the Staff
- James Cunnar, M.D.Medical DirectorJames Cunnar M.D. did his undergraduate training at the University of Notre Dame and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from the University of Illinois in 1990. He completed his medical education at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in 1994. His residency training was performed at Memorial Hospital, South Bend, Indiana, after which he became board certified in Family Practice in 1997. Dr. Cunnar’s clinical interests include adolescent care, adult wellness, and diabetes. Dr. Cunnar is actively involved within the greater community of family physicians on both the national and state level. Dr. Cunnar resides in Aurora. Dr. Cunnar is brings an enthusiastic approach to the collaborative model of treatment Banyan champions.
- David Tews, Ed.D, LCPC, CADCExecutive DirectorDavid Tews, Ed.D., LCPC, CADC has been in the helping profession for over 20 years. He has worked in a variety of settings specializing in the treatment of substance abuse disorders. Dr. Tews got his start as a volunteer at a community center in Sarasota, Florida providing pre- and post-test services for individuals interested in HIV testing. While working on his addictions certification and master’s degree he worked in halfway houses, recovery homes, treatment centers, and clinics. He has also taught addictions and other mental health courses at local colleges and universities. Dr. Tews serves on the Illinois Advisory Council on Alcohol and other Drugs while advocating for those in need of substance abuse treatment.
- Financing Available
Treatment Center Links
Rehabs 360 Guide
ABOUT BANYAN TREATMENT CENTER - NAPERVILLE
Banyan Treatment Center is a fast-growing network of rehabs, with ten locations around the United States, including several centers in Florida and an outpatient facility in Massachusetts. The facility in the Chicago suburb of Naperville provides outpatient care at several intensities for individuals struggling with substance misuse or a dual diagnosis. Medical detox is not available on-site.
TREATMENT & ASSESSMENT
Treatment at Banyan draws on both 12-step principles and evidence-based treatment methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Therapy is provided in individual, group, and family settings, and psychiatric and medical care are also available as needed, including ongoing medication management for those struggling with co-occurring mental health concerns.
Upon admission, clients participate in a substance use assessment to determine the most appropriate level of care. The most intensive program available is the partial hospitalization program (PHP, offered at 14.2 percent of Illinois-based facilities), which includes at least 25 hours per week of programming and is appropriate for those who require structure but not necessarily 24-hour monitoring.
An intensive outpatient program (IOP, offered at 65.7 percent of Illinois-based facilities) is offered as either a step-down from the PHP or entry-level care. The program offers a minimum of nine hours of treatment per week, and focuses in particular on relapse prevention and teaching clients coping methods for the challenges they'll face in sobriety. IOP care is provided up to five days per week and customized to suit the individual client's needs.
The traditional outpatient program, which may be utilized as a form of aftercare, requires attendance for at least 90 minutes a week, and sessions are available every day. Once clients have completed treatment, they graduate to the alumni program, which gives them access to the network of alumni who have graduated from Banyan's centers.
Banyan Treatment Center of Naperville employs a physician, a nurse practitioner, master’s level counselors, and certified addiction counselors. The single individual polled by Rehabs.com to date on the level of staff availability and experience gave the facility five stars in each category.
WHAT ALUMNI SAY
Both of the alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date gave glowing feedback. "This place has an amazing program," J.S. wrote. "The staff and techs have gone above and beyond. The treatment team really care and this experience is priceless," B.R.F. added, also giving the facility five stars in every evaluated treatment metric, including its family participation, holistic offerings, and discharge practices.
Secondary sources also revealed generally positive alumni feedback. that other alumni mostly agree. The center has average ratings of 3.7 out of five stars based on six reviews on Yelp (including "not recommended" reviews), 4.3 stars based on 29 reviews on Google, and five stars based on 14 opinions on Facebook, where the facility may manage its own page.  
Although a few reviewers found the center uncaring or otherwise unhelpful, numerous alumni found strong support from the staff, and reported leaving the facility with the tools to stay sober in the long term. "The staff was all great. They gave me the knowledge and tools I needed to for when I got home.. I feel like without them I would have been lost," Daisy wrote in a representative review on Google.
WHAT FRIENDS & FAMILY SAY
The sole loved one polled by Rehabs.com to date also praised the facility, citing staff dedication as a strength of the facility. Describing the staff’s and in particular one employee's efforts to help a client enroll in treatment, Donna H. wrote: “I feel that everyone I spoke to were very caring but he went above and beyond. I will be forever grateful.”
Loved ones posting on secondary sites give mixed feedback. "A close friend of mine has struggled with addiction for over two decades and been through countless rehabs and treatment centers. Banyan has been the most influential stop on his road to recovery," Y.K. wrote in one of the handful of glowing reviews.
However, more than one loved one found that the facility was not as they had been led to believe upon admission "Before they told me one thing and all looks really nice and then they put my son and this ugly and dirty place. They never answer the phone when I call or return my messages," Andres wrote in a representative comment on Google.
Banyan Treatment Center is among the 65.6 percent of Illinois-based facilities that accept private insurance. The single individual polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's affordability gave it five out of five stars.
Recovery.org is a third-party resource for consumers seeking addiction treatment.
We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Recovery.org 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Recovery.org is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.